Welcome to the USPHS Scientist Category Website
This site is supported by the Scientist Professional Advisory Committee (SciPAC) and provides news and information to Officers in the Scientist Category of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps. The Scientist Category is comprised of USPHS Officers who hold a doctoral degree (PhD, DrPH, DSc, PsyD, EdD) that served as the qualifying degree for their commissioning. The assigned billets and duties are diverse within the category and include a wide array of career tracks such as research scientist, regulatory scientist, environmental health scientist, epidemiologist, psychologist, and laboratory scientist. Currently, there are more than 350 Scientist Officers in the Scientist Category serving in 18 federal agencies or operating divisions. Each of the 40+ disciplines and professions within the Scientist Category contributes to the USPHS Commissioned Corps mission in unique and valuable ways.
- The next SciPAC General Meeting is 5 May 2015 from 1200–1300 Eastern Time.
- The Science Subcommittee Bibliography team is now collecting information on 2014 completed works. See the bibliography page for more details.
- Congratulations to CDR James Kenney, recipient of the 2015 Scientist Responder of the Year award.
- Nominations for Senior Scientist of the Year, Junior Scientist of the Year, and Scientist Mentor of the Year are due to by Friday, 6 Mar 2015.
- New chapters on COERs, Award write-ups, Promotions, and Training opportunities are available in the Scientist Officer Handbook.
- The “Top Ten Tips for Promotion Success” can be found on the Presentations page under Career Development Seminars.
- If you are a new Officer, check out our Top Tips for Scientists entering the USPHS.
- For important news and information, subscribe to the Scientist Category Listserv.
The news and information provided on this site is designed to support new and existing Scientist Officers in achieving their career goals. Resources are also available to civilian scientists interested in joining the USPHS Commissioned Corps. Welcome and please explore our website!